Every idea goes through a process before it can be converted into a successful innovation. The birth of an idea can be contributed by an individual or by a team. The person or the people need the opportunity to get exposed to the knowledge they need the authority to take appropriate decisions, they need supports in the form of infrastructure , procedures, systems and mechanisms to ease the process of creation of an idea. We are talking about creation of an environment which can nurture the process of continues generation of ideas.
As an idea is created the next step is the incubation of the idea. The idea needs to be nurtured and worked upon to help evolve into an invention. The process of incubation most often is a team work. This is the time that one needs to debate, defend and direct the idea to take shape into an invention.
The period of Incubation is critical and the idea needs to spend enough time in this phase. This is the phase that determines whether the idea is going to deliver or not. Many a time this phase is rushed through due to the enthusiasm of delivering a great innovation. This enthusiasm blocks the mind to look beyond. It scuttles the birth of the right innovation. This is also the phase where the person or the team that has given birth to the Idea take up a very defensive role and try to save and protect the Idea form being ridiculed and criticized. They need to anticipate all the bickering and prepare for fine tuning or altering the Idea all together to give a better shape.
Incubation is the most fragile phase. Since it is fragile, the tendency is to protect it. But protection will not result in guiding it to the right direction. One needs to expose the Idea to the relevant atmosphere to Judge, assess and audit the Idea. The phase of incubation also needs the people with the right skills and knowledge to give it the right shape. Incubation requires the right mechanism to protect as well as guide the idea through the phase.
Every Idea that is incubated and converted to an invention needs to be validated through. Validated on, performance, quality, sustainability, resilience, mass production, market acceptability, and profitability. Only then will the invention turn out to be an INNOVATION.
Innovation for the sake of innovation ends up only as an invention. It will not be able to see the light as an innovation. INNOVATION which is profitable is what the industry seeks.
At GroupSynergy we are committed to support “Profitable Innovations” by creating Innovative companies.
Innovative minds are created by:
- Creating the right environment for Innovation
- Creating mode and means to be Innovative all time
- Creating the need to be innovate
- Making innovation a necessity rather than an exception
- Supporting the team with all the back up for being Innovative.
- Supporting and motivating the team to be innovative
How , of Innovation
Develop a process to support active innovation
- Define an internal process of Innovation
- Create a process to evaluate innovation
- Create a mechanism to record Innovation
- Develop a process to retrieve earlier Innovation
Develop a system where the dissemination and absorption of experience and knowledge is done
- Creation of forums and teams with CFTs
- Moving towards a habit of exchange
- Formal and informal modes of experience sharing
- Informal ways to check the absorption
- Creation of an urge to innovate
Create a mode to record the knowledge disseminated and created
- Formal modes of recording the knowledge created
- Formal modes of recording the innovations at every level
Support active knowledge management
- Creation of means to retrieve experience and knowledge
- Create an environment to activity look out for experience and knowledge
Motivate to Innovate
- PMS to be influenced by the active role played in the above points by the employee
- Recognition on innovation at all levels.
- Create an urge to innovate